Instead of putting everything on the top panel of the box, I realized I could mount the three tuning dials on the front-facing surface of the box (like a guitar amp), leaving the entire top surface available for the plates. The top is about 6-1/2 by 4-1/2 inches, plenty of space for plates. The box is made of bakelite (phenolic resin) which was a rare find – most electronic “project boxes” are made of ABS plastic, and I’ve always been wary of plastics for radionics work – I try to stay away from plastic cases for my machines. I prefer wooden cases, but if Dr. Hieronymus is to be believed, bakelite has much the same properties as wood when it comes to working with eloptic energy.
It’s a pretty simple device, however I’ve added a few extra modifications. The basic design is a passive circuit, but I wanted it to have a “amplifier”, so I used a block of orgonite and a crystal I had lying around the shop and devised an “orgone power amp” to use instead of an electronic gain stage circuit. Conceptually, it should work, and I could sense it generating live orgone as strongly as any of my orgone wands. Any eloptic energy passing through the coil should get a boost from the scalar field radiating from the orgonite/crystal core.
I took the block of orgonite, and wrapped 24-turns (my machines all have coils wound in multiples of eight) of insulated magnet wire around the block, leaving lots of extra wire “tails”, then mounted it to a small, crystal mirror with beveled edges (makes the mirror a circular prism). I wrapped the base of a small quartz crystal with a strip of brass (conductive metal) to make a collar, and held it in place with cyanoacrylate glue, making sure the metal was in contact with the quartz. Then I carefully glued the inside of the collar to the top of the orgonite, making sure the metal edge was in contact with it. So, the “circuit” is: mirror–>orgonite–>metal bezel–>quartz crystal, which makes for a good orgone “Holy Hand Grenade” type device. The coil wires are used to connect it into the output of the tuning circuit, between the last tuning dial and the stick-pad/output.
Each tuning dial is a precision, sealed 10k ohm potentiometer. I found some metal dial plates with 0-100 increments to give the dials a very professional look, which is a much more accurate scale than knobs with numbers on them. (And I didn’t have to deal with decals for the numbering.) The stick pad is an eight-turn bifilar coil of magnet wire sandwiched between a layer of vinyl (vinyl plastic is a known insulator of eloptic energy) and a touch-pad of bakelite. The witness plate is a solid brass plate, a layer of bakelite, and another layer of brass, which is connected to the wires, which then pass through small holes in the top. The leads are long enough to open the box and rest the top on the bench, so I wrapped the wires with heat-shrink tubing and put a dab of silicon goop over the holes to reinforce the wires – magnet wire can break easily if it’s flexed too much. A double-terminated quartz crystal with eight turns of wire is in the circuit between each pot to increase the tuning sensitivity (a total of three). The witness and stick plates are paralleled to the input and output connections, so I can plug in hand contact grips, conductive wrist bands, or an external witness well. I can also inject audio or RF signals into the device. To the outputs I can attach probes, antennas, or feed into an external amplifier for improved broadcasting power.
I decided run all the wiring to a terminal block, in order to keep it neat and make the wiring more solid than is possible when soldering everything directly point-to-point. I also added a grounding post to the back panel. The screw-on wire connections on the terminal block also allow me to make easy modifications later. I might add an active electronic VHF amplifier in the future – there’s still lots of room left inside the case.
The whole project took me two days, once I had all the parts gathered. I’d imagine this is basically the same device as the 3-dial black boxes sold on various websites and on eBay, (like here) but with the unique crystal-orgonite amplifier. I figure I spent less than $100US on it in parts, but all of the parts are the finest available. In both magick and technology (and in magickal technology) I believe that good materials and craftsmanship make for better results.
The bakelite enclosure and stick pad, brass witness plate, high quality pots, clear crystals, terminal mount wiring, not to mention the orgone amplifier, make this 3-Dial Black Box as good or better a quality device than ones I’ve seen for sale on the internet for much more money –like this, and this, and this. (Don’t get me started…)
So now, I’ll do some experiments with the new machine and see what happens!
Update: I got good stick and pendulum reactions from the device using my own hair as the witness. So far so good!
Update 2: In response to a request in the comments, here’s the schematic diagram: